Mohammed Siraj, born on 13th March 1994, is a renowned Indian cricketer who has made a significant mark in both domestic and international cricket. He is a right-arm fast bowler known for his exceptional pace and accuracy.
Table of Contents
Early Life and Background:
- Hailing from the village of Narsingh Bhanpur in Hyderabad district, Telangana, Siraj came from a modest background.
- His father earned a living as an autorickshaw driver.
- Siraj’s passion for cricket ignited at a young age, leading to his discovery by talent scouts.
- In 2012, he earned a spot in the Hyderabad under-19 team, marking the beginning of his cricket journey.
First-Class Debut and Emergence:
- Siraj’s first-class debut for the Hyderabad state team happened in the subsequent year.
- His breakthrough came during the 2014-15 Ranji Trophy, where he took a remarkable 41 wickets in just 10 matches, ultimately helping Hyderabad secure the title.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) recognized his talent and named him the Emerging Player of the Year.
- In November 2017, Mohammed Siraj made his T20 International (T20I) debut for India against New Zealand, where he claimed the crucial wicket of Kane Williamson, finishing with figures of 1 wicket for 53 runs from four overs.
- On January 15, 2019, Siraj made his One Day International (ODI) debut against Australia at the Adelaide Oval, marking his entry into the 50-over format.
- In December 2020, Mohammed Siraj earned his maiden Test cap for India during the series against Australia, and he took his first Test wicket, dismissing Marnus Labuschagne.
- In January 2021, during the fourth Test against Australia, Siraj achieved his first five-wicket haul in Test cricket, showcasing his bowling prowess.
- January 2023 saw Mohammed Siraj playing a pivotal role in the India vs. New Zealand ODI series, where he took 4 crucial wickets in the first ODI, contributing to the team’s victory by 12 runs.
- On January 21, 2023, Siraj attained the prestigious No. 1 ODI Bowler ranking in the ICC ODI Rankings for Bowlers, underscoring his exceptional bowling skills.
- In August 2023, Mohammed Siraj received the honor of being selected to represent India in the 15-man squad announced by the BCCI for the 2023 Asia Cup.
- During the Asia Cup final on September 17, 2023, Siraj achieved a historic feat by becoming the joint fastest bowler to claim a 6-wicket haul in ODIs, matching Chaminda Vaas’s record. He also achieved a career-best figure of 6/21 and became the first Indian bowler to take 4 wickets in a single over.
Progress and Consistency:
- Although his early international career had its ups and downs, Siraj worked diligently to enhance his performance.
- Gradually, he became a consistent member of the Indian cricket team across all formats.
- The 2018-19 season marked a turning point in Siraj’s career as he claimed 21 wickets in 13 ODIs.
- He was honored as the Man of the Series in the ODI series against Australia.
- Siraj also continued to shine in Test cricket, amassing 23 wickets in 13 matches.
Cricket World Cup 2019:
- Siraj’s selection in the Indian team for the 2019 Cricket World Cup highlighted his growing stature.
- He played in all of India’s matches and secured 15 wickets.
- His outstanding performance in the World Cup solidified his position as one of the world’s premier fast bowlers.
- Post the World Cup, Siraj has consistently delivered strong performances for India.
- He has achieved over 100 wickets in both ODIs and Tests.
- His proficiency across all formats solidifies his role as a vital asset for the Indian cricket team.
- Mohammed Siraj has achieved the coveted No. 1 ranking in ODI bowling following his outstanding performance in the Asia Cup final.
The Future Ahead:
- Siraj’s career is still in its early stages, and he continues to evolve as a bowler.
- With his exceptional pace, accuracy, and growing experience, he is poised to be a key player for India in the coming years.
- Tragically, Siraj’s father, Mohammed Ghaus, passed away in April 2021 due to COVID-19.
- Despite the personal loss, Siraj decided to remain in Australia during the Test series, showcasing his commitment and dedication to the team.
- His humility and down-to-earth personality have endeared him to fans, making him a role model for aspiring cricketers in India.
Mohammed Siraj’s Career Statistic
This table provides statistical information about the player’s performance in different formats of cricket.
|5 wickets in innings||2||1||0||7|
|10 wickets in match||0||0||0||2|
Read More from Wisdom Imbibe: