New Zealand dominates the Netherlands with a 99-run victory in ICC Cricket World Cup 2023. Mitchell Santner shines as Player of the Match
In a thrilling encounter at the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, New Zealand secured a comprehensive victory over the Netherlands. The match witnessed remarkable performances and crucial moments, ultimately resulting in New Zealand’s triumph by a margin of 99 runs.
Player of the Match: Mitchell Santner
Mitchell Santner was named the Player of the Match for his exceptional all-round performance. Santner’s contributions with both bat and ball played a pivotal role in New Zealand’s success. His invaluable partnership-breaking wickets in the middle overs stifled the Netherlands’ progress.
Key Highlights of the Match
New Zealand, opting to bat first, posted a formidable total of 322 runs for the loss of 7 wickets in their allotted 50 overs. The Dutch team displayed commendable effort in their bowling attack, managing to keep the top-order batsmen in check for a considerable period. However, New Zealand’s middle-order resilience and a late cameo from Santner propelled them to a competitive total.
In reply, the Netherlands’ batting lineup put up a spirited effort, with several batters making solid starts. Colin Ackermann’s fifty and the partnership between Ackermann and captain Scott Edwards raised hopes of a challenging chase. However, the left-arm spin of Mitchell Santner proved to be the decisive factor as he bagged a five-wicket haul and effectively derailed the Netherlands’ innings.
Let’s take a look at some key statistics from the match:
Best Bowling Returns for New Zealand in World Cups:
- Tim Southee: 7/33 vs England, Wellington, 2015
- Shane Bond: 6/23 vs Australia, Gqeberha, 2003
- Sir Richard Hadlee: 5/25 vs Sri Lanka, Bristol, 1983
- Trent Boult: 5/27 vs Australia, Auckland, 2015
- James Neesham: 5/31 vs Afghanistan, Taunton, 2019
- Mitchell Santner: 5/59 vs Netherlands, Hyderabad, 2023
Left-arm Spinners with Five-fors in World Cups:
- Yuvraj Singh (IND): 5/31 vs IRE, Bengaluru, 2011
- Shakib Al Hasan (BAN): 5/29 vs AFG, Southampton, 2019
- Mitchell Santner (NZ): 5/59 vs NED, Hyderabad, 2023
New Zealand Spinners with ODI Five-fors:
- Daniel Vettori: 2
- Mitchell Santner: 2
- Matthew Hart: 1
- Ish Sodhi: 1
Left-arm Spinners in World Cup 2023 (So Far):
- Overs: 110
- Wickets: 23
- Avg: 25.39
- SR: 28.6
- ER: 5.3
Best Bowling Returns by a New Zealand Bowler in India:
- Matthew Hart: 5/22 vs WI, Margao, 1994
- Mitchell Santner: 5/59 vs NED, Hyderabad, 2023
- Hamish Bennett: 4/16 vs KEN, Chennai, 2011 WC
- Daryl Tuffey: 4/30 vs AUS, Pune, 2003
- Trent Boult: 4/35 vs IND, Mumbai WS, 2017
Double of 5 Wickets and 30-plus Runs in a World Cup Match:
- Kapil Dev (IND): 5/43 & 40 vs AUS, Nottingham, 1983
- Andy Bichel (AUS): 7/20 & 34* vs ENG, Gqeberha, 2003
- Yuvraj Singh (IND): 5/31 & 50* vs IRE, Bengaluru, 2011
- Shakib Al Hasan (BAN): 5/29 & 51 vs AFG, Southampton, 2019
- Mitchell Santner (NZ): 5/59 & 36* vs NED, Hyderabad, 2023
With this convincing win, New Zealand continues its strong start to the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, securing two victories in two matches. The Netherlands, on the other hand, faces an uphill battle, having suffered two losses in the tournament.
The New Zealand team showcased remarkable depth and stability in its lineup, making them a strong contender for the World Cup. As the tournament progresses, cricket enthusiasts eagerly anticipate more thrilling encounters and standout performances from teams and players.
Stay tuned for more updates and action from the world of cricket as the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 unfolds.